Sunday, September 19, 2010

Marsh People + Gator Hunting = One of the Coolest Days of My Life

I got to spend a day hunting alligators in Hackberry Louisiana.
Much love to the Lowery family for allowing me to join John on this expedition.
I have known John for five or six years, because we go to church together.
What I did not know was that he is a wild man when you get him in the marsh where he grew up.
We spent the morning boating through the marshes of Southwest Louisiana checking rotten chicken baited hooks for bid lizards, it was stinking awesome.
John has been doing this his whole life, and I can see why.
He had two tags left for the season, and he easily filled them this day.
I also got to learn a lot about the struggles that the people in Hackberry, and all of Cameron parish had after hurricanes Rita and Ike. John is a well of knowledge on that region. I guess you don't hear too much when its not New Orleans, just ask the people of Gulfport after Katrina.
We got two nice alligators.
The one I am holding in the first picture was 7 feet and 6 inches long.
The other was 8 feet and 1 inch long.




Thanks John for a really cool experience


No comments: