Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Work in Progress, In Progress

Started a new one this weekend for my bedroom retreat area.
My favorite subject, bass.
This one is similar to a piece over my piano.
I call these guys blues man, but my wife says this one needs a name, any ideas?
I started with a rough sketch on a 24 x 48 sheet of birch plywood backed with furring strips.
There is usually no long thought out plan when I paint, I just go with what feels right.
After adding a little detail I take a break.
I find that I do better work when I step away for a few minutes.
At this point I am just trying to lay down a base to give me direction.
Here he is with a little more detail.
I could go on forever, I never know when to quit.
I walk away again take a little break, and chase after Carly D, my baby girl, who is trying to eat a tube of paint.


This is where I am now.
Still needs a lot more detail, and I am struggling with what to do on the background.
I hardly ever start with a background.
I like to let whatever ends up on the painting dictate the background.
In this instance I want to match the bedroom, so definatley blues and golds.


Any ideas for a name for this cool daddy-o?



No comments: