Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Different Type of Art

I do love to paint and draw, but there is another art form I am well acquainted with.

That would be the art of
Redneck Engineering
This art has been ingrained in the DNA of the Moore family for as long as I can remember.
It starts with the removal of all safety features and grows from there.
No man on Earth could start my Paw Paw's lawnmower, or tractor, or whatever without a lesson.  
I also believe he could fix anything with a pair of pliers and duct tape.
 This art was passed down to my Dad, and seems to have taken hold of me from a young age as well.

If you are not sure about what that means, here is an example.


Last Thursday I was cutting the grass.
After a bout with a nest of yellowjackets.
(Round 1 went to the bugs.  I did however win the fight with a couple of gallons of gasoline)
The seat of my lawnmower broke off.
Now one would think that this should never happen, especially since I paid so much for this piece of machinery, but it did.

After looking at the price to replace the part I decided to try another option.
You guessed it, Redneck Engineering.

I found this part at Lowes. 
It is made for building with lumber.
My thought is that it is metal and seems strong enough.
 A bend, a cut, and a few holes drilled.
And for $1.86 the seat is attached.
Sure beats $257 for the new bracket.

And people say Rednecks are stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new seat! I will be calling you when Kay's car breaks again.

Unknown said...

im so proud of my smart and cool brother!! proud to be your sister..i truly love and miss u